A Hip Full of Baby.. One Mommy's ability to function with one arm

Like every other mother, I too have my baby in tow and on my hip throughout the day... the entire day! She's one of those babies I like to call 'High Maintenance.' So crazy me holds her on hip 24/7. I foresee back surgery in the near future.. hey this kid ain't on the light side if ya know what I mean! As hip holding comes so naturally to us, we don't think about how much we have in common with 'Super Woman.' Think about it.. we're pretty amazing and adapt quickly to the one armed way of living. My own mom recently told me that after having children she realized that if she were to somehow lose an arm, she knew that she'd get along fine because she managed only having one arm for so many yrs due to having 5 children in a 12 yr period. I don't know how she did it. I guess some of us are born with the ability to have tremendous patience and some of us aren't. I am one of the latter... LOL. But I do have my one arm cocked and ready to fire at any task thrown my way. So this post is about the crazy wonderful things that we find ourselves doing with a kid on the hip. So come on, join in and share with us the many ways of your inner Super Woman.....

  1. Going to the bathroom. Oh come on.. admit it.. you've done it. When you've got a cranky baby in tow that won't let you set 'em down unless you want to endure ear piercing pain.. you do what you gotta do!
    Hollie San Julian, AZ
  2. Cooking. Well I must say that the love of cooking is way in the past and now it's whatever is quickest. Thank god my husband is the cook. So I got lucky there. But when I do cook, it's always with one arm and almost always gets burned!
    Hollie San Julian, Az


  3. Makeup. With baby on hip side, I attempt makeup everyday. You have to.. It makes ya feel better. But with one hand, it only takes , oh, FOREVER! And never comes out looking right. Then there's makeup all over from when you tried to occupy baby by handing them your colorful eye shadow and your chapstick/lipgloss is chewed on and full of slobber.

    Hollie San Julian, Az




  4. Hair. Yes, I attempt to do my hair every... scratch that... almost every day. But with one arm, it's another task that takes nothing short of FOREVER! I mean, come on.. ONE ARM to do our hair. What is that?! Close to impossible is what it is! At least half of my head has combed hair.

    Hollie San Julian, AZ




  5. Shopping. Duh! Any girl, mommy or not, can shop with one arm.. Heck we could shop without and limbs if so needed! It would just take us longer.

    Hollie San Julian, AZ



  6. Making Beds. Oh Lordy.. I hated making our bed before the baby came, hated it even more with a baby in the belly and now I despise it, but I do it because I'm anal about everything being orderly. Sheesh, now making a bed with one arm is exhausting! I even get my feet involved to pull sheets around.

    Hollie San Julian, Az



  7. Get Dressed. I TRY to dress with lil' one on hip. Have you tried it? Don't! It sucks! Especially when the pants have buttons or a zipper.. Try managing that one. You think its easier to dress with a baby on your body that putting them down and having to make sure they don't get into anything or fall or whine for you. JUST PUT 'EM DOWN. GET DRESSED.. Freely!

    Hollie San Julian, AZ




  8. Crafts. Ok so I design jewelry and designer baby products. But if you only knew what I go thru just to get one item done.. HECk, half an item done. You'd think I was LOCO! With a baby that doesn't sleep, day or night, there's just no other choice. Got any suggestions?

    Holie San Julian, Az




  9. Blogging. Lets just put it this way... She's on me right now. And at the beginning of this post she was breastfeeding! Point taken?

    Hollie San Julian, AZ




  10. Eating. Oh yes.. I remember, vaguely, the days of eating.. You know.. Chew then swallow? Not piling in bites that are larger than your fist just to hurry up and finish because the kid(s) are getting crazy. Or remember when there was time for appetizers? Remember ordering exotic foods for yourself. Now I order foods only if they are easy to eat, if the baby can have what I'm ordering, if its finger foods to occupy baby while I bounce her up and down on my lap and stuff my face with my only free hand!

    Hollie San Julian, AZ




  11. Make Coffee. You know that cup of good stuff that gets you going in the A.M. Just a lil' harder to get going when you're making it one handed.

    Hollie San Julian, AZ




  12. Contacts. I am about as blind as it gets. So first thing in morning I NEED my eyes in. I use to open my eyes with one hand then pop in contact with the other. Now it's one hand baby! That's talent.

    Hollie San Julian, AZ



  13. Vacuuming. I do not recommend vacuuming with a tot on the hip. Oh goodness, is it ever exhausting. Vacuuming really does need two hand.. one to push it back & forth and the other to manage the long cord. RIGHT?! That's not possible when you are struggling with a lil heavy one. But guess what?.. I do it every time.

    Hollie San Julian, AZ



  14. Cleaning. The house must be cleaned DAILY.. Especially with a lil one around. I am very anal about that. But Lordy does it ever take 4 times as long when you have an extra 21 lbs on one side that isn't helping you but is only leaning over and trying to grab things you have or things that you pass by. Usually while I am in the zone of cleaning she has grabbed something and is making a trail of mess.


    Hollie San Julian, AZ



  15. Organize. The fridge, drawers, under sink..Yes, I am an orderly freak but there's just not enough time in day to do it while the bambino sleeps so, Yes, I organize with her in tow. Stupid because as mentioned just above, she grabs things and it just gets crazy.

    Hollie San Julian, AZ


  16. Drama. Us girls can talk and we do it with or without our kids, wherever & whenever we can. But when you're really getting into the conversation and really need to animate drama you really need BOTH hands. Am I Right?So it takes some talent to get a dramatic point across while holding baby and only using one hand. Ok and maybe some feet! LOL

    Hollie San Julian, AZ
  17. Moving. Yes, I mean moving from one house to another.. packing, loading, unloading.. all that bull crap! Hey its the worst task when you don't have children BUT when you do have children, it's 10 times worst than ever. We moved when our baby was 5 months old and I still look back and wonder how it all worked out. My feet definitely assisted in the moving process.
    Hollie San Julian, AZ
  18. Car Wash. Washing a big lifted truck one handed is exhausting AND messier than anything. Practically impossible. Actually it is impossible..I just typed this one in to see my hubby's mouth drop. I've never washed that truck. Heck NO! You kidding me! I'm sure Hubby was thinking.." when did she wash the truck...Hmmm?"
    Hollie San Julian, AZ
  19. Pill Poppin'. Headaches that is. When you got a baby weighing down one side, your back is crooked, your hip is cocked to one side, there's laundry to be folded, dishes to put away, carpet to vacuum, snacks to come up with, Blogs to blah Blah Blog about.. your bound to get a headache. But popping that Advil jar is a pain when ya got only one hand and it's child proof!
    Hollie San Julian, AZ
  20. Electronics. Ever have a prob with the VCR, cable box or stereo system? Well isn't more frustrating when you have the kiddo on the hip and you're trying to figure out what wrong with it. So then you set the kiddo down to figure it out but that only to have the lil' one tugging at your pant legs while screamin'. Hollie San Julian, AZ




Relative Post: